Adventures of a Midwest Transplant

Are Bloggers Your Friends?

Would you consider the writers of your favorite blogs your friends? How friendly do you feel toward them? Are these feelings based on many conversations had via comments or actual messages?

This is something I’ve been thinking about recently because I’ve been paying more attention to the blogs I read and the people who write them. I’ve shortened the list of blogs I read to only those that I actually read. I will add new blogs that seem interesting, but only if I feel drawn to the writer of the blog.

Is that creepy? Do you all now want to run from the crazy lady who only reads your blog because she feels drawn to you?

I don’t know that I feel like bloggers are my friends though. I don’t know y’all. I just know what you choose to share. I can’t read facial expressions or body language. I wasn’t there when the crazy shit you talk about actually happened. What do I know about how truthful you’re being about how awesome you seem?

Perhaps my love for lack of spelling errors carries too much weight. And I am a sucker for writing that makes me laugh.

I know that blogging communities (20SB, BlogHer, BlogFrog, etc.) don’t really appeal to me. But the little community that develops as a group of bloggers all happen to comment on each other’s blogs feels pretty good to slowly become a part of. Throw in a little twitter stalking following, and suddenly you’re getting a pretty good picture of who a person is.

If you’ve made it to the end of my rambling musings, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Advertisements

14 responses

1. serenityluv1

I been thinking the same thing. I love to connect with my readers or the people who I follow as well. Why wouldnt you? Thats what blogging is all about.

June 29, 2012 at 08:57

• Speaking of the devil.

June 29, 2012 at 11:01

• True, I’ve just recently starting feeling that way.

June 29, 2012 at 11:05

2. I’ve had crushes on some of my female bloggers.

In fact,if I’m not at least sexually or physically attracted to that blogger;I won’t read her stuff.That’s why I hardly read male blogs(since I’m not physically attracted to males).

June 29, 2012 at 10:58

3. I would say online friends haha. Based on some of the blogs I really read, I feel like I do know enough about that person to want to chill with them. I would definitely hangout with some of my favorite bloggers if the opportunity presented itself.

June 29, 2012 at 12:16

• Interesting. Now I’m wondering how many bloggers you know in your same city.

June 29, 2012 at 19:30

• I don’t know any. I live in NY so I’m sure a ton just don’t know them

June 30, 2012 at 08:51

4. silverneurotic

Yep, online friends..and I’m more inclined to consider you an online friend (rather then just blogging buddy) if we communicate outside our blogs, like through Twitter, Facebook or email. I actually had a mental list of bloggers I’d totally hang out in real life as well.

June 29, 2012 at 18:49

5. Socialkenny PUA

This shit bugging me out that I’m unable to leave comments since yesterday.Must be a glitch.

June 30, 2012 at 03:44

• I hate glitches! Glad I recognize the name so I know who’s leaving comments.

June 30, 2012 at 07:03

6. Mz. Bambi

I have about a handful I would consider beyond a blog writer…I tend to comment on their posts more often and actually feel at times like I know them lol..kind of weird but utterly true. Those are the ones that I look forward to posting because the stuff that they go through I can at times either relate or understand.

July 2, 2012 at 09:36

• What do you do when you find someone’s posts no longer interest you? How long before you unfollow?

July 3, 2012 at 11:58

• Mz. Bambi

I actually unfollowed one blogger only because I couldn’t continue to deal with his postings – it was a bit over the edge. But usually I will not unfollow them nor would I unsubscribe because even when I think I’m done with their ish..they tend to put out a post of interest that would draw me back in.

July 4, 2012 at 14:07

• Most blogs I read have some overlapping readers I also follow, so when something good comes up (unexpectedly of course of they would not have been unfollowed), someone else mentions it and I get back on the bandwagon.

July 10, 2012 at 23:24