Adventures of a Midwest Transplant

Getting My [insert noun here] In Shape

Summer, my body, parties, my apartment, hobbies. Fill in the blank with almost anything I wish I were doing more of.

I should be getting my ass in shape. I’m working on it. But just not as wholeheartedly as I’d like. I love bike riding, and I love yoga. Finding the time and motivation is a losing battle. At least I’m eating better. More grains and fruit, less over-processed and fried foods.

Summer is shaping up. I’ve been trying to spend more time outside, and more time with my friends. I’ve been quite unsuccessful at both. It took so long to get warm, and now that it is, I’ve got to get it together. I have a whole week off starting the 4th of July. I’m planning some great things for the husband’s birthday, and I should be able to squeeze a lot in that week.

We’re throwing a party for the husband’s birthday. We had one in June which was amazing. And we’ll have another in July. That should keep me feeling party-ful for the summer. I’m still in my 20s, so I shouldn’t be over clubs yet, should I? I am though, so I won’t be doing much partying-in-a-loud-ass-room-surrounded-by-strangers-I-have-no-interest-in.

My apartment is still terrible. It’s getting better, but I haven’t made any progress since we got those amazing shelves from The Container Store. My next plan is to buy another set of shelves and connect it to the first set. The expansion will make room for the TV and our books. That way we can get rid of the bookcases and really have some effective downsizing done ahead of the move to NYC.

And lastly hobbies. I thought I’d be doing more at church, more volunteering, more rock climbing. And I’ve done nothing. I don’t even draw in my sketchbook anymore.

You know what? I’m done complaining. If I spend all my free time doing nothing, I can’t feel bad that I’ve got nothing done. I’m going to focus on what I can get done.

I can stay on top of my TV shows.

I’m not kidding. I really do love television. And coming up this month and next are the summer premiers of some of my favorite shows. I love White Collar, Leverage, Franklin & Bash. I can watch those shows and feel a sense of accomplishment.

And then after that, I’ll get my butt up off the couch and go bike riding along the lake. And I’ll invite along one of my friends. And bring a snack of fresh fruit and water.

Boom, problem solved.

Advertisements

12 responses

1. Isn’t your ass already in shape?Doesn’t seem out of shape from what I can see.

July 1, 2012 at 20:05

• I’m not fat, but I’m also not in shape.

July 1, 2012 at 20:09

• Post some pics so we can see for ourselves what you working with.Let the guys judge whether your fat or not.

July 1, 2012 at 20:23

• I don’t need you all to judge whether I’m fat or not. My education in nutrition and health gives me that answer. It’s not a matter of opinion. I’m not fat, I’m overweight, out of shaped, but thank God I’m shaped well and exercise regularly enough not to be jiggly everywhere.

July 1, 2012 at 20:43

2. Are you self-conscious of us seeing your body?You don’t need our opinion,but we wanna see.

July 1, 2012 at 21:22

• That’s a big no. Not self consciousness, and definitely not interested in giving strange men on the internet what they want.

July 1, 2012 at 23:50

• And what do strange men on the internet want,to see ass and body?

And even if,would that be detrimental to you or any girl since we don’t know you and vice versa?

July 2, 2012 at 00:01

• I don’t know or care what they want to see. And whether or not it’s detrimental also doesn’t matter. What matters is what I want, and that is to get my ass in shape and talk about it on my blog. I appreciate the input, and if I do put a picture up, those following my blog will be the first to know.

July 2, 2012 at 00:20

3. Mz. Bambi

I would like to get my body in shape as well. Tone it up a little here and there..nothing major and just maintain a more healthier diet. Good Post!!

July 2, 2012 at 09:33

• A little toning is all I want too. It’s just hard finding the motivation. Ive been out on my bike twice this week already and I hope I can keep it up.

July 3, 2012 at 11:57

• Mz. Bambi

If you exercise with a partner, that would motivate you both to want to go in harder! It’s hard when you’re trying all by yourself….you end up having to motivate yourself and we all know this can be a deal breaker at times

July 4, 2012 at 14:04

• It’s hard exercising with the husband because we’re not at the same level for anything. One thing that does motivate me though is looking in the mirror and seeing my waist getting smaller!

July 10, 2012 at 23:23