Adventures of a Midwest Transplant

Do You Remember Puberty?

This is a super extra random post, but for some reason I was remembering puberty. Do you remember it? Was any of it a happy experience?

Maybe you were an extra-hormonal young man who was glad to finally control an erection. Or maybe you were the world’s only woman who was glad to get her period.

I for one was super excited about my hips. I think hips are so womanly. Not many women are truly curvy, and having hips are an essential part of that. I knew I’d be short and always look young for my age, so having hips would identify me as actually over 12 years old.

And breasts were nice too. But based on the women in my family, I knew a C cup was a wish upon a star and nothing more. And being African-American, I never worried about my butt.

Even with all these new chick parts sprouting up, I was most excited about hair. Suddenly having to shave my legs and underarms felt sooo grown up to me. I began priding myself on my smooth legs, even though they were smooth before I grew hair. But who cares about smooth legs as a child? No one, that’s who.

I remember a friend showing me her new underarm hair with joy when we were about 12. It was such a moment, you had to be there. Did I mention I used to (and still do) do awkward so well?

Was there anything about puberty you remember fondly? Or am I now an even bigger weirdo than previously thought?

Advertisements

11 responses

1. Hell no!!

Puberty is not a good experience for a man/boy.

I remember mines.I didn’t know what the hell was happening to me lol.Intense burning,irritation…I told my mother,but she was reluctant to explain since the subject was taboo.

July 1, 2012 at 09:03

• Intense burning? I didn’t know that was associated directly with puberty… I don’t know if I even want to go down that TMI road, but I’m so confused.

July 1, 2012 at 19:39

2. Yea when we piss we experience intense burning at times during puberty.

I was ashamed to tell my mother but I did but she didn’t explain.

My brother who’s 1 year younger went through same.

July 1, 2012 at 19:57

• Yikes, that sounds awful. Women aren’t equipped to deal with that stuff, no wonder your mom didn’t want to talk to you about that. If I had been her, I’d have sent you to the nearest grown man I trusted or to the doctor, lol.

July 1, 2012 at 20:03

• Can’t remember what else went down.

But I’m wondering if all or most guys go through this.I may have to google it.

July 1, 2012 at 20:26

3. Easy

I don’t remember no burning piss! Lol I liked when my beard grew in senior year. And when I was 13, I got contacts. Thank GOD for contacts!

July 2, 2012 at 09:22

• Glad to know I’m not the only one who found burning pee unusual.

July 3, 2012 at 11:52

4. Mz. Bambi

I remember when my boobs first sprouted and I got my training bra. My father was so use to me being a tomboy that whenever i wore the damn thing he would pull the back of it and let it snap me in the back..he called it a sling shot – he was in denial that his little girl was growing up!!

I remember joking around with my mom about my period coming. I was so evil – I’d put ketchup in my panties (TMI sorry) and then run to her like MA MA IT CAME!! She’d freak out and then I’d admit my lies..lol…until the day that shit finally came! I was lucky not to be one of the women who suffer from cramps and all of that other shit. Now, I’ll know when its about to come because I’ll crave chocolate and get a little emotional ๐Ÿ™‚

July 2, 2012 at 09:31

• All the comments on this post have caused some TMI and I love it. Gotta write more posts like this one.
      I agree that getting boobs was pretty awesome. My dad mostly just ignored puberty until it was time to start regulating clothing.

July 3, 2012 at 11:55

• Mz. Bambi

lol@regulating clothing..yessss..no more walking around with tight tops and no bra…no fitted jeans or short shorts..I felt like I was a damn Nun-in-Training – even during the summer time!!

July 4, 2012 at 14:03

• Lol, nah I still got crazy during the summer. I’d just wait til they left for work to get dressed.

July 10, 2012 at 23:22