Adventures of a Midwest Transplant

Are There Any Parts Of Your Job You Hate?

In my continued effort to blog about random things, I turn to my job. I’ve had this job for little over a year and I really like it. Actually, I kind of love it. I’m surprised to say it because I never intended to have the job I do.

I work in organ and tissue donation. I can’t get into too many details, mostly because I would hate for a Google search to bring someone I work with to my blog. I have a potty mouth where ever I go, but still. I can say that a big part of my job is getting families to donate the tissue of their deceased love ones and finding recipients for organ donors.

There’s a lot of different areas I could get into should I make this my career. Right now, it’s hard to imagine doing anything else because I love what I do so much. It’s even hard to imagine what I don’t like about this job, but I’m gonna work real hard and try.

I don’t like all the policy changes. Every time I come to work, the policy on how we do some aspect of our job has changed. But they just send random e-mails about it. So you can imagine how many different ways different employees get the same task done.

I really don’t like all the meetings. There are training sessions, follow-up training sessions, and staff meetings for all the aspects of the job. Because I do more than one type of job, I’ve got to attend more than one type of staff meeting. There is nothing worse than having to have my butt at a meeting that lasts waay too long talking about things that could be covered with one of those random e-mails.

My job has also taught me things I do like. I love paperwork. Yup, paperwork. Filling out spreadsheets, compiling data, and completing checklists is totally my thing. It’s why I thought I’d like research, but I hate being in a laboratory. Looks like being in administration is in my future, cause I love putting together a data analysis report. I know, I know, I’m a weirdo. Or maybe some sort of nerd. Probably I’m both.

You know what else I like? Answering the phone. I would’ve been an AT&T switchboard operator instead of a maid if they hired black people back in the day. I can answer some phones with the best of them. I work nights and my supervisors marvels and how I always sound pleasant on the phone, even at 4:30 am on a busy night.

The only part of answering phones I hate is when other departments ask me to do their work for them. I know I would’ve been a telephone operator in another life, but I’m sure as hell not one in this life.

I will talk more about my career path in the next week or so with my biannual career path post.

Are there any parts of your job you hate? Please don’t get yourself fired answering my question.

Advertisements

15 responses

1. Favoritism
    The corporate rise of the incompetent
    The people who don’t accept the blame when they mess things up
    Lack of support from the movers and shakers in areas that matter

July 3, 2012 at 09:11

• All those things do suck! Good list.

July 3, 2012 at 12:04

2. Mz. Bambi

I honestly only dislike my work hours. By me working in a call center my hours can change every three months. My days off are hardly the same so being able to adjust to change has been something I’ve had to get use to. But on the flip side-I love talking to different people who all are in different situations. Being able to go above and beyond to change their rude attitude really makes me feel good. I allow my customers to rant, rave and curse up a storm-it does not bother me one bit. I know once I am done with them, an apology will soon follow from them.

July 3, 2012 at 12:35

• Good for you. I love when someone is good at their job and takes pride in it. I work nights, and my hours don’t change, but my schedule does jump around. I only know my off days six weeks at a time. Makes it difficult to plan ahead unless I’m going to use paid time off.

July 3, 2012 at 20:38

• Mz. Bambi

Yes the more you enjoy your job, the less it starts feeling like actual work. I hate using my PTO!!

July 4, 2012 at 14:12

• Me too. If I take less than three days out of one week, I just cram all my work time into the rest of the week so I’m technically not taking any time off. That’s the one perk of my office being open and running 24/7.

July 10, 2012 at 23:25

3. Thanks for the shout out in the sidebar. I hadn’t noticed that before.

July 3, 2012 at 12:51

• No prob. I think I probably update mine more than most people. If a blog I read is posting recent stuff I think others should read, I put it up.

July 3, 2012 at 20:39

• Good to know. I’ll check out some of the others too. Thanks.

July 4, 2012 at 01:06

4. silverneurotic

At the moment, I suppose I could say that I’m a home maker and the one thing I love is cooking. Never thought I’d say that, and I still haven’t worked up to complicated meals but I’m enjoying finding recipes online and tweaking them and serving them up.

What I hate…when S.D. is at work it can get really lonely…and as this is such a small town with very few things to do I usually end up rushing through daily cleaning and job searching and generally just trying desperately to find something interesting and different to occupy my time.

July 3, 2012 at 15:50

• Ooh, I feel you. I know how.. creative one has to be when unemployment lasts longer than expected. Recipes and new (and free) locations to hang out become the best outlet. At least in my experience

July 3, 2012 at 20:40

5. Surviving the Storm - Walking on a Rainbow

Your job sounds very interesting. Mine isn’t so much. But I too really like working with data, figures, and paperwork in general.
    What I dislike about my job? You might regret asking. LOL The worst thing is the double standards. Particularly when it comes to the boss’s 20-something daughter. My supervisor, who I used to consider a friend, is the daughter’s protector, giving her whatever she wants. I also find it very offensive to be micro-managed by the supervisor, when she knows and admits how good I am at my job and that I like to keep busy. And I don’t appreciate the last minute chaos when the boss is going on holidays, leaving everything till the last minute, ignoring everyone’s questions and emails, and then dumping everything on me to deal with while he’s gone. Most days it’s hard getting out of bed knowing I have to see all of them again.

July 13, 2012 at 19:14

• Oh, that sounds unfortunate. I hope your supervisor doesn’t follow your blog/comments.

July 14, 2012 at 00:51

• Surviving the Storm - Walking on a Rainbow

Nah, she’s not much of a computer person, and honestly, I don’t think I care so much at this point. 😦

July 16, 2012 at 08:03

• Well alright. I also hope you’re applying for more fulfilling work…

July 17, 2012 at 23:26