Adventures of a Midwest Transplant

Saving Lives

It occurred to me recently why I really love going to work. I’m almost always in a good mood heading to work, and that seems a bit unusual. My job certainly isn’t my dream job, so why would I be so into it?

It’s because we save lives. The work I do keeps people alive. The people who get organs from a donor are those who may not live to see the next donation opportunity.

There are risks with donations that suck. Things can be transmitted like cancer, infection, etc. But the risk of being dead is a higher risk for people on the transplant list.

I feel so blessed to be a part of this line of work. I wish I could tell more, but we’re not allowed to talk about it. The people who are donors and the people who are recipients are protected. Their information isn’t available to share with the world.

Some people choose to stand up and say they’ve gotten a transplant. They talk about what a difference it made in their life. Others talk about a family member who was a donor. When someone is going to die and they are on a ventilator and their family chooses to let them be a donor, it’s  a great gift.

If you haven’t signed up to be a donor, please think about it.

If you want to sign up, go to Donate Life America. They’ll get you started.

If you are a donor, talk to your family about it. Don’t let it be a surprise when they get are informed by the hospital should the situation arise.

Advertisements

7 responses

1. i never understood why more people didn’t donate their organs. why let them rot in the ground after death instead of helping someone else live their life

July 20, 2012 at 09:23

• I probably wouldn’t phrase it that way, but I definitely feel the sentiment.

July 23, 2012 at 20:01

2. silverneurotic

One of my best online friends got a kidney transplant 10+ years ago. Every time we exchange emails, I feel blessed that she is still alive today thanks to the donation.

July 20, 2012 at 12:46

• She is also blessed that her transplant has lasted 10+ years. She must’ve got a great kidney.

July 23, 2012 at 20:02

3. This is awesome! I must admit that I am one of those who has always shied away from this subject because although death is a reality, I don’t like to talk about it. My dad passed away from cancer almost 4 years ago and no, a donor couldn’t have helped his situation but I do know how hard it is to see a loved one suffer and there is nothing you can do about it. I will definitely think about becoming a donor. Thanks to your blog, you have my wheels turning!

July 20, 2012 at 13:59

• I’m happy to hear that. Deciding to be a donor is a personal decision. It’s always better if your family knows your wishes ahead of time. It makes things just a tiny amount better in that worst case scenario.

July 23, 2012 at 22:14

• Thanks for the info! It’s definitely something to consider!

July 26, 2012 at 18:55