How To Leave An Apartment You Hate, Step One
You ever live in a place you thought you’d love but you end up hating? You ask yourself, “how do I escape this hell hole?” Well, I’m not sure I can help you, but I can sure as hell chronicle how I’m getting the hell out.
- Make the shit as livable as possible until you can get out.
- Give away a bunch of stuff to the salvation army.
- Wash all your clothes and throw out the rest.
- Be nice to your neighbors so they don’t rob you on moving day.
- Don’t forget to turn off the utilities.
- Pack your shit over a period of time, really make leaving a celebration.
So, that’s just the basics I think. But really, the first step to leaving an apartment you hate is to not renew your lease. At the end of this month, we’ll be free of the high rent.
We’ll be free of the weed smoking neighbors.
We’ll be free of the loiterers with no better business.
We’ll be free of the lack of parking.
We’ll be free of the cops who were nowhere to be found while our car was stolen but showed up when the husband was changing the plates on the recovered car.
We’ll be free of three flights of steps.
We’ll be free.
Free at last.
Well, we’ll be moving in with our parents until we find somewhere new to live. But I swear we have a really good reason for not finding a new apartment yet. I’m just not ready to share.
But I will be soon.
I suspect it will come as good news too.
Just wait and see.