Am I the only one who looks at a good deal of my life through a Sex and the City lens? I think if you fall in a certain age range (pretty much anyone born between 1970-2000), there’s a good chance this show occupies a corner of your life. Maybe you were an adult when it came out and watched it as it mirrored your life. Maybe you discovered it because your mother/sister/college roommate was obsessed and insisted you’d love it too. Maybe you stumbled across it like I did, back when Netflix DVDs were still a new and amazing facet of life.
In case you hadn’t heard, last week was the 20th anniversary of the premier of the show. Since I loved it so much in college, I’ve been doing a deep dive. I read old Sex & the City columns for the first time. I read a young Cosmo’s writer take on “living like Carrie.” And I read think pieces arguing about how groundbreaking it was, how it lacked diversity, etc., etc..
I think time has done Samantha well. People appreciate her sex positivity. They love that she didn’t give a damn what anyone thought of her. I think time has been less friendly to Carrie. Look at what came up when I googled “Carrie Bradshaw was trash.”
I didn’t come up with this idea on my own. An article all about it popped up on my google feed not too long ago. You can read it for yourself here.
As much as I wanted to binge-watch the entire series over in celebration of the 20th anniversary, it ain’t gonna happen. I’m not putting myself back in the frame of mind that made me grateful for the diversity crumb that saw Jennifer Hudson cast in the SATC movie. No thank you. I’d rather wait for the next season of Insecure to premier (August 12th!!).
But still there’s this:
It’s a piece of “art” I bought on “the street” years ago. I think it was back during one of my first trips to NYC. I drove here, on a rather impromptu road trip with my girls, for an in-person job interview. My husband wanted to move to NYC, and so I wanted to make his dream a reality. I even have a picture of that evening in Times Square when I bought the picture that still hangs on the wall in my bedroom. Want to see it? Of course you do. I looked like I fell out off of a Forever 21 mannequin display and was proud of it. Perhaps the shades of lipstick I used to choose are the reason I was less confident in a bright red lip back then…
Well, the internet has me convinced I do NOT want to be a Carrie, haha. She was far too vanilla for me anyway. The heteronormativity and the barely hidden homo- and biphobia irritate me to no end. And the way she would have these moments of silence (read: silent judgement) whenever one of her friends’ stories got too extra was the worst. Besides, these four white women aren’t the only friendships shown on TV. There are plenty of others for me to figure out which archetype I am.
There’s Living Single:
I’m gonna figure out which one of those I am instead on continuing to fuss over SATC. Too bad there aren’t any handy quizzes out there to help me learn if I’m a Joan or a Maxine or an Issa. But wait! There is! Sort Of! Not for Living Single (does the show pre-date Buzzfeed? That’s prolly why), but there are quizzes for the other two.
This 8-Question Quiz Will Tell You Which “Insecure” Character You Are. This quiz covers all the characters, not just the women, but I’ll take what I can get.
Which “Living Single” Character Are You?. Same. All the characters.
Okay, I’mma go off for one quick second. See this is what the fuck I mean about intersectionality! Y’all so busy lumping us into the women category or the black category, there’s no space for black women. I’m looking for the space for just us, but nope, we gotta get in where we fit in. And Buzzfeed tells me that separating me from my brothers isn’t an option. Surprise, sur-fucking-prise. Whatever. Here’s my quiz results.
Nope, not giving you my quiz results yet. What the fuck is this question?!?!?!?!?!?!
Do I need to talk about how the only two options with white folks are “chic and sophisticated” and “preppy and minimalist”???? Really buzzfeed, y’all couldn’t find no black people on Getty Images to represent those styles?? This, ladies and gentleman, is what is referred to as a microaggression. Ugh, okay, back to my quiz results.
Trying not to be irritated by this intergender quiz because my results are actually quite spot on, lol. Whatever.
If you aren’t into comic books in general or the Marvel Cinematic Universe specifically, this post isn’t for you.
But if you consider yourself an outsized MCU fan and are interested in every single one of their properties, please, join me.
Have you ever asked yourself, “what order should I watch MCU properties in?” Or, “can I get a list of all the MCU properties in order?”
I did something last night. I spent a few hours organizing, in chronological order of release, every MCU property.
Now I know what you’re thinking. “Why didn’t you just google it?”
Yeah, I tried. And if you want to watch the MCU (all TV and film) in the order the events happened, I’d suggest you head on over to CNET’s post about it. CNET’s post is mostly up to date, as far as I can tell. And that’s because I’m assuming the first half of Season 5 of Agent’s of S.H.I.E.L.D. is taking place right where Season 4 left off, therefore it would be before the events of the Punisher. Oh, and it’s way more pleasing to the eye than what I’m about to post below.
But if you’re like me and for some crazy reason want to consume everything in the order it was released, I can help. I did a deep dive on Wikipedia, and as long as no trolls managed to edit the locked sections, we’re good. My list is better than Wiki though because I meshed the films, short films, TV shows, and comics together for your consumption. For the comics, the release dates I found online don’t always agree; also I focused on the comic’s (not the graphic novel’s) release date.
Why do I even care about seeing things in the release order? Well, Marvel is very meticulous about release dates. So I want to start from the beginning and take everything in the order they intended.
I warn you, this is a long ass list. I’ll name the property, then the release format, then the release date (for comics/tv episodes with multiple dates just the first release date is mentioned), and I’ll also name (when applicable) a link or release association.
Marvel Properties in Chronological Release Date Order
- Iron Man, Film, May 2, 2008
- The Incredible Hulk, Film, June 13, 2008
- Iron Man: I Am Iron Man! (Issue #1-2), Comic, January 27, 2010.
- Iron Man 2: Public Identity (Issue #1-2), Comic, April 28, 2010
- Iron Man 2, Film, May 7, 2010
- Iron Man 2: Public Identity (Issue #3), Comic, May 12, 2010
- Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Single Issue), Comic, September 1, 2010
- ****The MCU Wikia seems to think the following three comics are their own individual part of the MCU. However, the link for Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. includes them all of you just keep going forward (and if you have Marvel Unlimited).
- Captain America: First Vengeance (Issue #1-4), Comic, May 4, 2011
- Thor, Movie, May 6, 2011
- Captain America: First Vengeance (Issue #5-8), Comic, June 8, 2011
- Captain America: The First Avenger, Movie, July 22, 2011
- The Consultant, One-Shot, July 22, 2011, associated with released of Thor movie
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer, One-Shot, October 25, 2011, associated with release of Captain America: The First Avenger Movie
- The Avenger’s Prelude: Fury’s Big Week (Issue #1-8), Comic, March 7, 2012
- The Avengers, Movie, May 4, 2012
- The Avengers: Black Widow Strikes (Issue #1-3), Comic, May 12, 2012
- Item 47, One-Shot, September 25, 2012, associated with the release of The Avengers
- Iron Man 2 (Issue #1-2), Comic, November 7, 2012
- Iron Man 3 Prelude (Issue #1-2), Comic, January 2, 2013
- Thor (Issue #1-2), Comic, January 16, 2013
- Iron Man 3, Movie, May 3, 2013
- Thor: The Dark World Prelude (Issue #1-2), Comic, June 5, 2013
- Agent Carter, One-Shot, September 3, 2013, associated with the release of Iron Man 3
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Ep 1-6, TV (ABC), September 24, 2013
- Thor: The Dark World, Movie, November 8, 2013
- Captain America: The First Avenger (Issue #1), Comic, November 6, 2013
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Ep 7-10, TV (ABC), November 12, 2013
- Captain America: The First Avenger (Issue #2), Comic, December 11, 2013
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Ep 11-12, TV (ABC), January 7, 2014
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier infinite Comic (Single Issue), Comic, January 28, 2014
- All Hail the King, One-Shot, February 4, 2014, associated with the release of Thor: The Dark World
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Ep 13-16, TV (ABC), February 4, 2014
- Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite Comic – Dangerous Prey (Single Issue), Comic, April 1, 2014
- Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude (Issue #1), Comic, April 2, 2014
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Movie, April 4, 2014
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Ep 17-22, TV (ABC), April 8, 2014
- Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude (Issue #2), Comic, May 28, 2014
- Guardians of the Galaxy, Movie, August 1, 2014
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2 Ep 1-10, TV (ABC), September 23, 2014
- The Avengers (Issue #1), Comic, December 24, 2014
- Agent Carter Season 1, TV (ABC), January 6, 2015
- The Avengers (Issue #2), Comic, January 7, 2015
- Avengers: Ague of Ultron Prelude: This Scepter’d Isle (Single Issue), Comic, February 3, 2015
- Ant-Man Prelude (Issue #1), Comic, February 4, 2015
- Ant-Man – Scott Lang: Small Time (Single Issue), Comic, March 3, 2015
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2, Ep 11, TV (ABC), March 3, 2015
- Ant-Man Prelude (Issue #2), Comic, March 4, 2015
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2, Ep 12-16, TV (ABC), March 10, 2015
- Daredevil Season 1, TV (Netflix), April 10, 2015
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2 Ep 17-19, TV (ABC), April 14, 2015
- Avengers: Age of Ultron, Movie, May 1, 2015
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2 Ep 20-22, TV (ABC), May 5, 2015
- WHIH Newsfront Season 1, Digital Series, July 2, 2015
- Ant-Man, Movie, July 17, 2015
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3 Ep 1-2, TV (ABC), September 29, 2015
- Jessica Jones (Single Issue), Comic, October 7, 2015
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3 Ep 3-8, TV (ABC), October 13, 2015
- Jessica Jones Season 1, TV (Netflix), November 20, 2015
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3, Ep 9-10, TV (ABC), December 1, 2015
- Captain America: Civil War Prelude (Issue #1-3), Comic, December 16, 2015
- Agent Carter Season 2, TV (ABC), January 19, 2016
- Captain America: Civil War Prelude (Issue #1-3), Comic, December 16, 2015
- Captain America: Civil War Prelude (Issue #4), Comic, January 27, 2016
- Captain America: Civil War Prelude Infinite Comic (Single Issue), Comic, February 10, 2016
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3 Ep 11-17, TV (ABC), March 8, 2016
- WHIH Newsfront Season 2, Digital Series, April 22, 2016
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3 Ep 18-19, TV (ABC), April 26, 2016
- Captain America: Civil War, Movie, May 6, 2016
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3 Ep 20-22, TV (ABC), May 10, 2016
- Doctor Strange Prelude (Issue #1-2), Comic, July 6, 2016
- Doctor Strange Prelude Infinite Comic – The Zealot (Single Issue), Comic, September 7, 2016
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 Ep 1-2, TV (ABC), September 20, 2016
- Luke Cage Season 1, TV (Netflix), September 30, 2016
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 Ep 3-6, TV (ABC), October 11, 2016
- Doctor Strange, Movie, November 4, 2016
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 Ep 7-8, TV (ABC), November 29, 2016
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Slingshot, Digital Series, December 13, 2016
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2 Prelude (Issue #1-2), Comic, January 4, 2017
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 Ep 9-15, TV (ABC), January 10, 2017
- Spider-Man: Homecoming Prelude (Issue #1), Comic, March 1, 2017
- Iron Fist Season 1, TV (Netflix), March 17, 2017
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 Ep 16, TV (ABC), April 4, 2017
- Spider-Man: Homecoming Prelude (Issue #2), Comic, April 5, 2017
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 Ep 17-20, TV (ABC), April 11, 2017
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Movie, May 5, 2017
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 Ep 21-22, TV (ABC), May 9, 2017
- Thor: Ragnarok Prelude (Issue #1), Comic, July 5, 2017
- Spider-Man: Homecoming, Movie, July 7, 2017
- Thor: Ragnarok Prelude (Issue #2-4), Comic, July 19, 2017
- The Defenders, TV (Netflix), August 18, 2017
- Inhumans Season 1 Ep 1-7, TV (ABC) September 29, 2017
- Black Panther Prelude (Issue #1), Comic, October 18, 2017
- Thor: Ragnarok, Movie, November 3, 2017
- Inhumans Season 1 Ep 8, TV (ABC), November 10, 2017
- Black Panther Prelude (Issue #2), Comic, November 15, 2017
- The Punisher, TV(Netflix), November 17, 2017
- Runaways, Season 1 Ep 1-4, TV (Hulu), November 21, 2017
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5 Ep 1-8, TV (ABC), December 1, 2017
- Runaways, Season 1 Ep 5-10, TV (Hulu), December 5, 2017
- Avengers: Infinity War Prelude (Issue #1), Comic, January 24, 2018
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5 Ep 9-10, TV (ABC), January 26, 2018
- Black Panther, Movie, February 16, 2018
- Avengers: Infinity War Prelude (Issue #2), Comic, February 28, 2018
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5 Ep 11, TV (ABC), March 2, 2018
- Ant-Man and the Wasp Prelude (Issue #1), Comic, March, 7, 2018
- Jessica Jones Season 3, TV (Netflix), March 8, 2018
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5 Ep 12-14, TV (ABC), March 9, 2018
- Ant-Man and the Wasp Prelude (Issue #2), Comic, April 2, 2018
- Avengers: Infinity War, Movie, April 27, 2018
- Ant-Man and the Wasp, Movie, July 6, 2018
I’m stopping here because I don’t have release dates after the first few episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. But I will continue to update this if 1) I remember and 2) I feel like it.
Also, let me know in the comments if something looks wonky, it’s hard to accurately edit a list of 90+ items.
I have started three different posts in the last month, and I just can’t. I don’t quite have Trump fatigue yet, but what I can I say that isn’t already being said? Not much. On Twitter and Instagram, I like and repost a lot of stuff that I think others need to see. I DVR and eventually watch every episode of the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. It’s good for my soul, like chicken soup.
I thought about something the other night. I was out with my husband and some of our best friends in New York. We were, of course, at a jazz club. In the middle of our friend’s set, playing some amazing music, we were conversing about Trump. One of our friends and his wife are Canadian, and they are worried about a number of things: visa renewals, NAFTA, whether a quick visit home could turn them into illegal immigrants. Shit is bananas. Then another of our friends started speaking about the rise in anti-Semitic attacks and threats. Shit is bananas.
It hit me that at this moment in life, I kind of feel the least under attack, at least compared to some others.
I’m worried as shit about what Trump is doing and how many people I know and don’t know that it will affect. But in terms of my body and life, there isn’t much he can do to me. I look at my husband and I worry about Trump reducing funding for arts and possible re-instating Stop & Frisk. I look at my in-laws and worry about Trump’s immigration policies. I look at my friends we’ve met since moving here and I worry about anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, homophobia, hell I worry about generalized xenophobia.
I’m not trying to have any babies, but if I did get pregnant, my husband and I would roll with it, and I’d do my best to match the enthusiasm he and our parents would have. My healthcare comes through my job and is not at the mercy of stock markets and whatnot. People are always going to need/get organ & tissue transplants. My pension also goes through my job. My husband and I have really good healthcare (medical, dental, eye, & pet insurance) through my job.
I’m American born and raised, and I live in a city that’s very multicultural, and people look at me and assume I’m from here. I occasionally have people assume my parents are from whatever country they’ve come from, but they always assume my parents came from said country to America, then had me. They’d be wrong because my parents, and their parents, and their parents, etc. are all American born, but that’s not really important.
My point I’m finally circling back to is that Trump can sign into law that will mess me up any more than I currently am. I live in Brooklyn, where all the cops don’t yet have body cameras, but they can somehow afford to have those airport do-you-have-a-bomb scanners. I got stopped on my way to the A train so they could swab my bookbag-style purse and lunch tote. I had the thickest attitude about it, and the cops were all don’t-hate-me-I’m-just-doing-my-job. And I was all fuck-you-and-your-job-aren’t-you-the-same-ones-who-are-going-to-be-harassing-one-of-my-neighbors-for-being-male-and-black-and-outside-in-a-few-hours?
Ugh, I’m so irritated at everything right now.
Well, not everything. There are moments of wonderfulness. Nights at Smalls Jazz Club are my favorite. That place is like home to me. Literally, I walk in and I feel as comfortable as I do in my favorite places on this planet. Obviously, there’s the caveat that I have to wear pants, but still. And including tonight, I’ll have gone to to Smalls three times in 8 days, so that always gives me happy vibes.
And then there’s the Sims 4. I love me some video games in general, and the Sims in particular. I’ve made time to play more in recent weeks, and that has led to more writing and reading SimsLit. I’m telling you, these little computer generated people & aliens provide a great escape from everyday life. One of my sims fell in love with a man who was young enough to be her son, but she gave him a chance because he’d had a crush on her since he was in high school. They hit it off and she got pregnant. When she told him, he confessed that their child would have a sibling the exact same age. He’d slept with his sister’s fiancee on the night before their wedding, and she got pregnant too. The family’s plan was to raise the children as cousins, not siblings. I promise you that the only thing I had a hand in was letting my Sim sleep with the guy who’d loved her forever. The rest happened on it’s own (with the help of a story progression mod).
And there’s my volunteer work. I finally felt useful this past week. I was helping a high school girl with a ridiculous Algebra II project based on Angry Birds. I dug the movie, but does anyone even play angry birds anymore? Fucking parabolas man. I lost 35 minutes of my life because neither she nor I could remember that the vertex of the parabola is halfway between the two x-intercepts. But it’s cool because we figured it out and she got Part 1 of the project done. I don’t often feel useful tutoring those particular kids, but I really felt useful this week.
I wish I had more cohesive thoughts for this post, but I don’t. Sorry, not sorry.
People, at least black people, aren’t outraged because her feet are on the damn couch, even though that is trifling as hell. If you think the outrage is about feet, then you CLEARLY don’t watch porn, didn’t hang out with black guys and white grls in college, are naive about the politics/optics/history of black men/white women and white people/black people as a whole and are unfamiliar with the basic socialization of women and body language. I won’t call her a thot. But is she thotting? Well. 💅🏾 Get ya damn feet off the couch and close your legs, ma’am. At least TRY to look like a professional woman. You’re supposed to lean in, not bust it open. Part of what’s so infuriating of this is her casual comfort like this room of college presidents is the damn help. It’s like, you’re changing and half naked and a servant walks in, no biggie. They’re like living furniture. You’re changing and someone that actual matters to you comes in, you get embarrassed and throw something on. That she can be so casual and without f**ks and sitting in f*** me formation in the presence of White House guests, and guests of such note at that, or even her boss, is mind-blowing. Also, she is absolutely, 💯 percent putting her ***** on Orange’s sideburns. #kellyanneconway #whitehouse #potus
[EDITED TO REFLECT A RECENT ARTICLE I READ LIKE 5 MINUTES AFTER POSTING THIS, SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM TO SEE]
IF YOU’RE READING TO SEE WHAT I’VE GOT TO SAY ABOUT THIS BAN, SKIP TO THE NEXT ALL CAPS SENTENCE. I’M GETTING ALL PERSONAL BLOGGY FIRST.
Okay, personal stuff first. Did I tell y’all I am going to a bridesmaid for the first time ever this year? My girl Toya (we grew up next door to each other, and she’s thankfully not marrying the boy next door, lol) is getting married in May. She’s one of the only people on the planet who could get me to go to Florida right now.
Chris and I haven’t been to Florida since George Zimmerman was acquitted of killing Trayvon Martin. That Stand Your Ground law is such utter bullshit that we decided we would do our best to not go back until it was changed. I’m making an exception for this wedding, then the travel ban is back in place.
Being a bridesmaid is such a mind fuck. It’s like being trolled by my own thoughts. Budget worries, body worries, logistics, etc. To put it more simply, trying on bridesmaid dresses has made me get my whole life together. If I’m going to wear a strapless gown at a beach wedding and get photographed in some forever pictures, I need to do better than what I’m currently doing.
Luckily, this feeling coincided with Chris wanting to be healthier too. So for the past couple of week’s we’ve both been way more committed to exercise, and I’ve been cooking 5-6 times a week. it’s better for the budget and the waistline. Simpler meals (if blood orange & herb glazed baked ribs with mushroom rice and roasted butternut squash counts as simple) have been the goal. So far, it’s going well.
We’ve just hit that point where that initial burst of energy because we’re working out 6 days a week is starting to fade. We still have all our regular life responsibilities and we are tired, man. We are committed to pushing through and getting our bodies used to this new pattern. We just gotta get over the hill. I’m grateful that we have each other for support.
HEY Y’ALL, HERE’S WHERE I SWITCH TO POLITICS, WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH SYNONYMOUS WITH SOCIETAL GASLIGHTING THESE DAYS.
So, unless you’re living under a rock or know literally no one affected by this travel ban, you’ve heard that there are new levels of dickishness that can be reached with each passing day.
That fucker in the White House spent his first week signing executive orders left and right like he was Dolores Umbridge taking over Hogwarts.
The people responded strongly and swiftly. If you need a breakdown about that, I got you. The New York Times covers it pretty efficiently as of two days ago, and you can read that here.
I was all on board for grabbing my pitchfork to join the townsfolk to protest this newest outrage. If I didn’t have crazy work hours (also see above for newfound commitment to not having a terrible beach body), I would’ve trekked out to JFK to join the protests the first night they happened.
For the most part, I’m still on board, but I’ve seen this and I really have to share it with y’all.
If you’re like me and you simply open all links in new tabs to be read after you’ve read the main article (or not at all), I’ll sum it up for you. Shaun King, journalist and activist extraordinaire tweeted a Facebook post by political historian Heather Richardson. If you open no other links in this blog post, READ THIS ONE.
If you’re still refusing to open the link I’ve put in ALL CAPS, well fine, you’ve twisted my arm. To make a long story short, Professor Richardson describes this fuckery aka ban as a “shock event.” If you don’t know what a shock event is, well, just click on the word shock event in the previous sentence. Seriously folks, I’m spoon feeding you here. It can’t get much easier than this… unless you’re reading on a browser that won’t let you open in a new tab and won’t save where you left off on the previous screen, in that case, well, I understand.
Okay, back to this term called shock event. The idea is to do something shocking, that will both distract and divide the people. They are focused on this shocking thing, and they have knee-jerk reactions for or against it along expected lines. You know, for example, like instituting an unreviewed ban on immigrants from seven seemingly random countries who haven’t sent us jihadists.
While the people are still in disarray, mounting their response of protest or support, you sneak in the back door (that’s what he said) and enact your real agenda.
Right now you may be thinking, if he is such a badass, usurping the will of the people, why bother with the bait and switch? Well, I’ll tell you why. Because he doesn’t actually want complete anarchy. He wants the people in disarray so they can’t mount an effective defense. It’s in his best interest to keep them from unifying. He knows his true objective is NOT in the interest of the people, and if they knew what he was truly up to, they’d try and stop it. But if they’re too busy fighting over who loves Muslims more than the next person hates Muslims, they won’t notice that he’s about to fuck them all over for something that benefits only a select few.
Let me put it this way. Those fuckers who have confederate flags covering every surface they own, their wives still wearing t-shirts that say Jail the Bitch, their children bullying yours in school to go back to “where you came from,” their preachers condemning all your gay best friends to hell, their healthcare they swear they don’t want being paid for by your taxes, you know them? Can you imagine protesting along side them when whatever Bannon and Trump have planned is revealed?
I for one have a hard time imagining the same people who’ve had vitriolic responses to the protests since Inauguration Day standing beside me to fight against the complete decimation of our tax/healthcare/education/transportation/energy/housing/banking/regulation/immigration/you-name-it system, or whatever the hell their true target is.
But if Professor Richardson is right, we gotta be vigilant y’all. We CANNOT let this man and his puppeteers take away any of the few things that happen to matter to most of us.
Thanks to historians (yay education!) we have an early warning. We’ve got several jobs to do. One of them is to continue to protest the individual acts of fuckery, like this ban, as they pop up. But today, right now, move one waaaaaay up the priority list.
YOU NEED TO FIND A WAY TO STOMACH WORKING WITH THOSE YOU DISAGREE WITH ABOUT DAMN NEAR EVERYTHING.
YOU NEED TO FIND A WAY TO STOMACH WORKING WITH THOSE YOU DISAGREE WITH ABOUT DAMN NEAR EVERYTHING.
YOU NEED TO FIND A WAY TO STOMACH WORKING WITH THOSE YOU DISAGREE WITH ABOUT DAMN NEAR EVERYTHING.
You still with me? Good. Hear me out.
I’m not saying get ready to invite the Klan to your family reunion. I’m not saying continue to work with these
fuckers people after the fight is won (see what I did there? I’m already growing. grow with me). I’m saying that when the shit goes down, which those smarter than us are pretty sure it will, do not let ideological divides keep you from fighting together.
I don’t know how much time you need. But do some self-assessment and figure that shit out. I don’t know how much time we have. But take some time, do some meditation, and make peace that you may one day march alongside a white nationalist against a common cause.
Take a moment right now. Breathe. It will be okay. If/When that moment comes that we all need to join together, you gotta be ready to do this with us, you can’t let it take you by surprise. If this ban really was a shock event… Don’t. Let. It. Work. On. You.
Stay strong. Resist. Take care of yourself and those you love.
EDIT: So…. I think the big move may have been started already. I think it might’ve been Trump nominating Bannon to the National Security Council. Keep an eye on this one. For a quick rundown, read this opinion piece by the New York Times Editorial Board entitled, “President Bannon.”.